Notice 700: The VAT Guide has been updated.
This HMRC Notice is a “starting point” for general VAT information and provides a guide to all the main VAT rules and procedures. It also provides assistance with the problems faced by business and includes an index which helps users find further information by referring to a particular section or paragraph in one of HMRC’s other, more specialised publications. There have been over 30 changes to the Notice which was last updated in 2016.
A full list of changes is set out in the Notice, but the most salient are as follows:
- Additional guidance on MOSS – para 4.8.4
- Single and mixed supplies – para 8.1
- Continuous supplies to connected persons – para 14.3.1
- Various commentary on invoices (including electronic invoicing) – paras 16.6, 16.8, 17.7 17.8
- Accounting schemes – para 19.2
- Agents registered for VAT acting in their own name when the customer is not registered – para 1.2
- Penalties for inaccuracies – para 27.3
- Integrity of supply chains – para 27.5.2
The number of changes in just one year highlights the fast pace of the tax and the number of challenges which taxpayers have won. I cannot see this pace letting up in the future either.
As always, if you have any queries about the changes, please contact us.